Preparing Today's Student-Athletes for Tomorrow's World.
Programs Offered Include:
The Remote Program is a 15-week online program designed to challenge students’ academically and in sport while remaining at home. Through 4 core modules, Remote ASI takes a holistic approach to develop students’ into confident leaders of strong character. All Students will be assigned an Andrews Hockey Certified feedback coach who they will be in contact with bi-weekly to discuss learnings and keep students accountable for their work. By aligning positive role models with ASI students we look forward to encouraging them to make strides toward their goals and dreams.
The ASI Team Package allows for coaches or managers of individual teams to sign up for the program at a group rate. Teams have the freedom to choose two, three or, all four core modules. This program works by having the team management facilitate the program. Management is given a weekly guide to follow and help their players complete the program’s entirety. Andrews senior staff members will submit videos explaining weekly learnings and check in every two weeks to guide coaches through the process. ASI Staff will be available to answer any questions that come up throughout the program.
The ASI Staff
Director of Andrews Sport Institute
- BSc, Kinesiology UPEI
- BEd, UNB
- 10 Year Andrews Hockey Instructor
- Degree in Sports Management with Specialization in Hockey Coaching
- Assistant Coach – Charlottetown Islanders (QMJHL)
Founder & President
- BEd, UPEI
- BPEd, UNB
- Provincial Youth Coordinator – Department of Education
- Order of Canada Recipient
- BEd, UPEI
- MEd, University of Queensland Australia
- MA, Dalhousie
- PhD, Dalhousie
Graduate of UPEI BBA, Graduate of SMU MBA Program.
- Multiple-time Atlantic and Provincial AAA hockey champion, Charlottetown Minor Hockey Player of the year.
Hockey East All-Rookie Team, UNH Team MVP and Defensive player of the year.
Two-time Hockey Canada U-18 August Selection Camp Invitee, Highest all-time single-season saves leader at UNH.
Graduate of Acadia University BBA, Fourth year of Professional Hockey Lausitzer Füches – DEL2
Athletic All- Canadian ‘11,’12,’13, MHL Player of the Year.
Current student-athlete at Nipissing University, Two years Professional in Switzerland (SWHL)
Current Prospect with the Switzerland National Team.
NCAA Player, 4 Year Professional player SPHL and ECHL
Captain of the Knoxville Ice Bears, NCAA All-Academic Team, Diabetic Mentor and Keynote Speaker.
Graduate of UPEI BSc Kin Honours, CIS All-Canadian, AUS All-Star Team
Current player for Les Canadiennes de Montreal CWHL
Current student-athlete at UPEI, Assistant Captain of the Chilliwack Chiefs BCHL
Top Defenseman Chiefs 2017, Scholastic Player of the Year, OHA Graduate
The ASI Program
The ASI leadership component provides students with opportunities to develop skills for managing experiences in healthy ways while maintaining a focus on positive goals. Through weekly themes, students will learn the qualities to be a good leader with strong character.
- Topics Such As SMART Goal Setting, Attitude,
Responsibility, & Discipline
- Biweekly Check In From The Accountability Coach
- Educational Videos/ Motivational Videos/ Hands-On Activities
- Identify components of SMART goals, and apply these components to short-term goals for hockey and academics based on personal interests, aptitudes, and skills
- Analyze how positive health habits can be supported by specific approaches to productivity and success; e.g., pre-game and/or game day routines
- Develop strategies that promote wellness for self and others; e.g., adopt goals that reflect optimism about the future
“The leadership section of the ASI program was what I got the most out of. It has made me a better leader, teammate, classmate and better person in general. I enjoyed all the question that made me go deeper and think harder. It has made me a better writer and speaker and has expanded my vocabulary. It has taught me the importance of the little things and how they can make a difference. Overall it has pushed me outside of my comfort zone and made me more confident.”
- Over the course of 15 weeks, the ASI program will cover two books
- Students will be assigned weekly readings and asked to answer insightful questions to dive deeper into the topics mentioned
- This program will be accommodated for each student’s reading level
Reading Program Outcomes
- Students apply strategies for being an “active reader” to manage ideas and information; e.g., highlight key details when they read, make notes to return to
- Students will extend awareness of themes; e.g., athlete burnout, and discover the possibilities of being a proactive person
- Students will follow a given plan of inquiry to form generalizations and conclusions about “things we do and do not control” about school and hockey
“I enjoyed the reading program and wouldn’t change anything. My school teacher was so impressed with the level of reading I was doing as part of the course. My reading has improved because of the more challenging words I was reading, and I had to think about the content and message both books gave me.”
- Students will be given a step by step approach to creating a business or volunteer project in their community
- Through this project, the students will be encouraged to help raise funds to support their tuition for ASI or better their community by giving their time
- This project-based learning approach covers topics such as marketing, sales, financial management, perseverance and appreciation
Passion Project Outcomes
- Students will use the community in a search for businesses you could potentially improve or opportunities for new businesses
- Students will apply a business plan outline to develop strategies to execute your future business
- Students will design a plan for generating demand for their product or service using marketing techniques, e.g. the rifle approach
“The passion project was, I think the most challenging aspect of the program for me because it involved talking to a lot of new people and getting outside of my comfort zone. It has made me more confident, and more aware of my community and the different things it is built upon.”
Hockey Skill Development
This module focuses on four key components. Students will be sent weekly videos with exercises, drills, and skills, as well as videos explaining why they are doing them.
Students will then send in their own videos and receive feedback from their accountability coach!
- Skating and Speed
- Hockey Sense
- Puck Control
- Smart Shooting
Hockey Skill Outcomes
- Students will develop physical literacy movement through guided video to assist in the overall athletic development
- Students will develop a variety of different shooting techniques through guided step by step videos. Shots include by are not limited to – wrist shot, sweep shot, snapshot, slap shot, backhand, toe drag shot…
- Students will increase their spatial awareness with the puck in small spaces while keeping their head up.
“The Hockey Skill Development was a significant part of the program, although I wish I had spent more time on it. It has improved my skills. My stickhandling is much smoother and faster, and I am overall more comfortable with the puck. My shot is harder and more accurate than before. Also, I am now comfortable doing more than simply my wrist shot on the ice. My feet are faster, and that shows in my skating!”